Monday, October 7, 2019

An Ancient Remedy I Use

I am fascinated by traditional remedies and medicine. Medical treatments of today have roots in old treatments and cures. Cures are of the past. When was the last time you heard about a cure for any disease? The concern lies with the carousel of ongoing treatment, because where medical care is for profit the profession/business would collapse if too many cures are discovered. Especially in a society like the United States where only the latest money making trend is valued, the average person is not concerned with the old or the ancient unless somehow they get their hands on some artifact or antique that they can make money from.  

Despite the boast by American leaders that America has the best healthcare system in the world, it's certainly the most overpriced and hard to access. Americans are some of the most unhealthy people on earth due to the erroneous ways we have been taught to live and think. The top diseases are all lifestyle and stress related, hypertension, cancer, major depression, coronary heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.  


When I first traveled to Turkey one of the first things I noticed is the rarity of overweight and obese people.  Unlike here, I could be in the country for weeks and months and not see a single fat person, whereas at home I go out and I will always see someone who is very overweight. Here stateside I also have to deal with weight issues. Yet each time I would go to Turkey to teach, in about three months my weight becomes perfect, and I would feel like a new person.  


Turkey is among a number of nations where GMO seeds and products are banned unlike here in the states where  most everything we ingest has been tampered with and polluted with toxins without any mandate for honest labeling.  GMO products could also be a cause of why the cancer rate is so high in the US. 


The Turks often have only one day off from work, still they know how to be social and relax, an art that we here in the states have lost. Ten years living beside each other, and we might have never had a conversation with our next door neighbor.  At each language institute where I taught, class would be in session for 50 minutes with a ten minute break to smoke, get a snack, and drink tea. I would always go to the canteen and sit and talk to my students or colleagues. 


I have respect for countries who haven't totally succumbed to false identities and know how to mix tradition with the modern, unlike here in the states where most citizens have false identities and know nothing previous to 243 years ago which was the nation's founding, and not even that event is known and understood very accurately.  My history didn't begin 243 years ago or 175 years, which is as far as I can trace back on my mother's side of the family. White, black, and hyphened American means nothing. What are our origins and original ethnicities?  Outside of trying to sustain ourselves by worshiping the false gods of money and materialism, having no knowledge outside what the TV tells us, who are we?  Where did we come from, and where are we going?  Why are we being taught during this postmodern period that it's progressive to set low and self destructive standards for ourselves?  Why are we and our leadership so mentally, spiritually, physically sick and stubbornly dishonest with ourselves? 


I will talk about a substance as proof that the ancient is important. Two plants that I love are the olive tree and the rose. I saw my first olive grove in Greece in 2003.  From the olive tree I get olive oil for cooking, for use in a mixture I make to cover my salads, and to take care of my hair and skin. From the rose I get rosewater.  Here I am not speaking of the standard rose we are familiar with in America, but the damask rose or Rosa Damascena which is a Middle Eastern rose hybrid.  


Rosewater which is produced from the cultivation of the Rosa Damascena is not available in stores where I live. I encountered it first in the Turkish confection or sweet called lokum or Turkish Delight.  Lokum comes in several flavors.  The two I like best are  pistachio and rose.  Lokum came on the scene in Ottoman Turkey during the 1700s, but it may have an earlier origin. The first time I saw rose flavored lokum was behind the window of a sweet shop in Istanbul, and until then I didn't know that roses or any flower could be used in food or drink. 


America is a heavily controlled society, and one means of control is to leave people ignorant of facts and valuable knowledge. Here rosewater is advertised as a cosmetic for the skin, and this is likely because the pharmaceutical industry lobbies (bribes) the government to keep out the competition and high levels of medicinal knowledge so they can maintain their overpriced grip on society.  American pharmaceuticals are the most expensive in the world. The "kings and queens of democracy" keeps this country and all its sectors functioning as monopoly's and not as a democracy.  There is little fairness and truth.


Rosewater is marketed as a cosmetic for external and not internal health, whereas in societies in the East people used it for medicinal benefits centuries ago. The same has been done to turpentineSome in my parents' generation were given turpentine  when they were children to improve their health. Today it is marketed as paint and varnish thinner and is contaminated with all kinds of impurities. "Big pharma" as some call it, wants an unhealthy public so they can keep on making money. Government, big food, big pharma, the media, the banks all labor hand in hand to maintain a sickly, ignorant and weak public.  


About two years ago I was telling my private student who lives in Turkey about a bottle of rosewater I had purchased at a pharmacy the last time I was in the country.  I bought the bottle as a kind of souvenir, and I still have it. It has been four years since I bought it, so the scent is mostly gone, but I keep it for good memories of the pharmacy where I would go regularly and talk to, in my limited Turkish, the friendly owner and pharmacists.  I asked my student if it was safe for cooking, and she told me I would need organic rosewater since the one I have has some castor oil added to it. 


Later I looked for organic rosewater on Amazon where I continue to buy antique olive soap made by the Dalan soap company in Turkey. I searched and found 100% pure organic rosewater from Morocco. 


For a number of years I suffered from asthma brought on by allergies, stress, and the climate here in the southern US. Whenever I would go to Turkey my asthma would taper off. I did a web search about home remedies for asthma a few years ago and saw a short article that implied that rosewater might alleviate some allergies and asthma. I went on to order a bottle of organic rosewater, and when I had an attack I put a few drops of  it in a glass of water, stirred it in and drank it. The result was it worked just as well or better than my $80 to $100 inhaler and menthol cough drops.  


Both my mother and I have a problem with our lips becoming inflamed, swelling up a few times a year from allergies and stress. The first time I had an outbreak my general practitioner proscribed steroid tablets. One night recently my bottom lip started to swell and for the first time I put a few drops of rosewater in water and drank it and licked my lips with some of it. Usually when I have such a flare up by morning the inflammation is full blown. This time the next morning my lip was back to normal. Tablets like Benadryl do not work. In the past, I've bought a liquid herbal remedy with ginseng from an herbal remedy and vitamin shop, but it cost close to $30 before tax. The organic Moroccan rosewater is 4 ounces. I only have to buy it twice a year, and it comes at a little less than $10 before tax. 


I rarely have asthma attacks anymore. I also took my mother's advice and take a chew-able vitamin C tablet daily at breakfast. The use of rosewater and having a calmer and more accepting perception of life has stopped my asthmatic problem.  


One of the reasons we are so lost in America and the West, next to the loss of a deep and knowledgeable religious faith is that we have lost connection to what true culture is and we don't know and value history, our ancient roots, or real medical care. This ancient connection has been severed by profit, false identity, blind patriotism, and the focus on the self as master and god leaving us fractured away from who we are as the natural man and woman. 



Below I have added what I hope are interesting and informative links. 


Pharmacological Effects of Rosa Damascena 


Rosa Damascena As Holy Ancient Herb With Novel Applications


How The World's Best Rose Water Is Made


Coffee With Cardamom and Rose Water


The Roses of Constantinople


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Slice of Life Film Short of An African American Family 71 Years Ago

I often think how would it have been if life had turned out differently for me, my people, and just all of humanity. I think these things es...